Mastiff Club of America, Inc.
Revised January, 2013
The Mastiff Club of America requires its members to adhere to the following guidelines which constitute its Code of Ethics. The Club also requires that members, breeders and stud dog owners not aid or abet the violation of these guidelines by anyone else. The Club does not entertain contractual disputes as a part of its hearing process, but will determine if any additional actions should be taken, if such contractual disputes have been remedied by other parties, or institutions. This Code details certain practices necessary to implement the objectives of the Club as outlined in Article 1, Section 2 of its Constitution.
1. I will consider only the betterment of the breed when breeding a bitch or allowing a breeding with my stud dog, being conscientious of controlling and eliminating inherited problems. A breeder and stud dog owner shall plan each breeding with the paramount intention of protecting the breed, and only when the parties involved agree the breeder is in a position and has the knowledge to give proper care to both the bitch and offspring.
2. I will not allow a bitch to be bred prior to her reaching twenty-two (22) months of age, nor shall any bitch be bred after her seventh (7th) birthday. A bitch will not be bred more than twice in any eighteen (18) month period unless she does not whelp a litter, the litter is stillborn, consists of a single (1) pup, or as a part of a veterinarians recommendation for treatment of pyometria. A bitch will have no more than four litters in her lifetime.
3. I will sell a Mastiff only to a buyer whom I believe to be interested in the protection of the breed and who would agree in writing to provide the highest quality of care for said Mastiff, including quality food, water, proper shelter from heat or cold, active companionship, appropriate exercise, socialization and professional veterinary care whenever necessary.
4. An MCOA member will sell each Mastiff puppy/adult on a written contract signed by all parties. Said contract shall contain, but is not limited to the following provisions:
a. Complete care/feeding instructions.
b. A record of inoculations and worming with a recommended continuation schedule.
c. Provide the buyer with a five (5) generation pedigree on the litter.
d. Furnish a signed AKC registration or transfer form, unless written agreement is made with the buyer that such papers are withheld or are to follow.
e. A provision that ensures that the breeder is contacted whenever an owner can no longer keep a dog at any time in the dog’s life and that the breeder will take back the dog if asked to do so.
f. Stipulate that the buyer have a veterinary check-up within five (5) working days of the sale, (or whatever is applicable in your state of residence), to determine that the Mastiff is healthy. If the veterinarian determines that the Mastiff is not in good health, the breeder will, upon the Mastiffs return, refund the purchase price or replace the Mastiff.
5. I will not sell, nor allow any co-owners of my dogs to sell or provide a Mastiff for resale through gift, auction, prize or to a broker/agent or commercial outlet for resale. I will not engage nor allow any co-owners of my dogs to engage in the brokering of puppies, (selling or buying). If confronted with a potential rescue situation I will contact an MCOA approved rescue group to assist the dog(s) in need.
6. I will not sell a puppy/adult who is sick, nor will I ship or deliver to the buyer a puppy less than eight (8) weeks of age.
7. I will adhere to the AKC code of sportsmanship at all times and in all matters relating to Mastiffs. I will maintain the highest degree of honesty and integrity. I will not knowingly make a misstatement of fact in any serious discussion of my Mastiffs or the Mastiffs of any other Mastiff owner that I might have with persons not qualified to judge the fact for themselves. When advertising my Mastiffs in any media (magazines, internet websites, mail, email, etc.) I will not make false or misleading statements. The MCOA will review any person found guilty of such misstatements, but removes itself from any domain in ascertaining such guilt. Any remedy should be between affected individual parties and the legal findings of guilt then presented to the MCOA for further action if necessary.
8. I will take back any Mastiff bred/sold by me who has been displaced. If I am unable to do so, I will assist the purchaser in finding a new home and if all options are exhausted, contact an MCOA APPROVED RESCUE GROUP OR REGIONAL CLUB, with whom I will reimburse for all costs incurred not to exceed $500 per placement.
9. I will recommend the neutering/spaying of any puppy/adult I place or sell as pet quality as soon as the dog reaches the appropriate age. The MCOA strongly recommends all members register all their puppies with AKC and uses the AKC Limited registration option on any puppies deemed pet quality.
10. I will not sell, place, nor use, a Mastiff for the purpose of attack training, fighting, or any other sport detrimental to the breed and its reputation. I will not allow any Mastiff in my care to roam free unattended or unsupervised.
11. I will not produce more than eight (8) litters in two calendar years per household nor will I permit my stud dog to be used in a program, which would exceed eight (8) litters in two calendar years per household. I will not purposely evade these guidelines by putting my dogs in the name of friends or other family members.
12. I will provide the highest quality care to all Mastiffs that I own, or that are in my possession, for as long as they are in my care including quality food, water, proper shelter from heat or cold, active companionship, appropriate exercise, socialization, and routine veterinary care. I will never abuse, nor knowingly allow abuse of these same Mastiffs.